Monday, September 13, 2010

Art, Music, Pop Culture 09-13-10

And now for a little bit of Art, Music and Pop Culture to bring some variety to the mish-mash of socio-economics and politics I usually discuss.  Expanding my own horizons, and hopefully yours.  Today, a look at some Blago-inspired Chicago street art, a great song I can't get out of my head by MUTEMATH, and a look at Broken Lizard's latest comedy effort.

ART


Today's art mention comes courtesy of FruzsE over at Chicago Art Magazine, by way of WindyCitizen.  A growing figure on the street-art scene in Chicago, Ray Noland is becoming known for his political stencils.  Here are a few great looks at Blagojevich.

100_9792_web.jpg





MUSIC


MUTEMATH has been on my mind and on heavy rotation on my MP3 player all summer.  Here is their excellent single, and especially cool video for Spotlight.



POP CULTURE

My version of pop culture will tend to dwell in the realm of movies, trends in rock, punk and rap cultures, and stand-up comedy.  Unlike my friends, I'm not a hipster and care nothing for that ironic nonsense other than to laugh at it.  That said, the latest movie by the crew at Broken Lizard has been heavy on my rotation as of late.  The guys that brought us the classics Super Troopers and Beerfest are back at it with The Slammin' Salmon.  Guest starring Michael Clarke Duncan in an unforgettably funny role as the champ, Slammin' Cleon Salmon, owner of his seafood restaurant, The Slammin' Salmon.  He offers $10,000 to his top waiter for the night, and a broken rib sammich to the low man on the totem pole.  Of course, hilarity ensues as members of the staff try to outdo each other.  Enjoy this awesome compilation of Michael Clarke Duncan scenes, and if you know what's good for you, pick this one up!

No comments:

Post a Comment