Sunday, August 9, 2009

Lollapalooza: Day Two Diamonds

As expected, Rise Against and Tool both put on mind blowing performances yesterday. But as I attempt to steel my already sore body to the reality of walking another hundred miles on the hottest day of the year, I must reflect on day two's diamonds in the rough, including the one act that may very well have stolen the entire weekend with his performance.

Coheed and Cambria

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're saying. How is a band like Coheed a diamond in the rough? Well, first, I live in Chicago, where the only alternative station is Q101, owned by Emmis, who also bought the Loop. So no matter what, I'm only any longer exposed to watered down crap and about 11 hours a day of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. That said, the only Coheed I had ever heard was terrible. So imagine my surprise to go check these guys out at my friend's recommendation and I was pummeled with wave after wave of face-melting rock! No wonder the program is comparing them to Rush. Just one word: Wow!




Joe Pug

The program talked about critics comparing him to Bob Dylan. Also he was the closest act at the time to the beer garden. In any case, I was not let down. If Black Joe Lewis on day one was the resurrection of James Brown, Joe Pug is every bit the new Bob Dylan. Just a fantastic voice. Great guitar work, and played the harmonica, too. And as to his band, who doesn't love the good ol' country twang of a real deal slide guitar?




Quinn Sullivan

I checked my Facebook at about 1:28 to see an alert from Lollapalooza that Buddy Guy was going to be at the Kidzapalooza stage at 1:30. I had to be there, no questions asked. What I found when I got there was the announcer talking up the next performer, calling him one of the most talented guitar players he had ever seen, of any age, but especially at the age of 10! My jaw and the jaws of those around me didn't leave the ground as 10 year old Quinn Sullivan played some of the best blues around, including his own stuff, a completely unreal performance of Little Wing, and then wrapped it up with a five plus minute rendition of his song "Buddy Blues," side by side with Buddy Guy. Something seriously amazing will have to happen today for this not to be the performance of the weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment